Pages

Friday, August 10, 2007

In Other Words...

From now on, or for as long as I can keep it, I will make Friday my "word power" day. I got inspired after reading Sassy Lawyer's article in the Manila Standard about 100 words that every high school graduate should know according to the editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries.


After reading the list I went, hwaaat? I mean, am I really expected to know all that? Then I started asking Mr. Webster what some of the alien-sounding words meant only to find out that they were not even as highfalutin as they seemed- just a little pompous for small minds like mine...Either that or my reading habits has never really matured, much so my choice of reading materials. Oh well, that's another BIG project to work into. Let me just start with this one.

Word for today: bowdlerize

Main Entry: bowd·ler·ize
Pronunciation: 'bOd-l&-"rIz, 'baud-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -ized; -iz·ing
Etymology: Thomas Bowdler died 1825 English editor
1 : to expurgate (as a book) by omitting or modifying parts considered vulgar
2 : to modify by abridging, simplifying, or distorting in style or content
- bowd·ler·i·za·tion /"bOd-l&-r&-'zA-sh&n, "baud-/ noun
- bowd·ler·iz·er noun

In Roxie's vocabulary:
Extensively known as: to sanitize or censor
(1) used liberally when passing information to highly sensitive people who jump at words even before digesting the whole message and analyzing it side by side with other vital information
(2) exercised primarily when playing message bearer to warring couples, at-odds bosses and parents-children tandems with generation-gap issues.

Example #1:
Boss1: Am I the only one thinking here?
Relaying the same message to Boss2: The boss says we should also consider other options.

Example #2:
Parent: Why does she keep on pulling her pants down, I can almost see her privates in that outfit!
Relaying the message to the Daughter: You mom says you look better having your pants up to your waist and not on your hips, masks your bulges *winks*

Example #3:
Girlfriend: And he dumped me for that big fat hag?
Relaying the message to the ex-boyfriend: She says it's just sad that you had a change of heart.


Can't I be guiltier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...