Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Zebra Cake


I came to know about this beautiful cake from pinoycook.net. Then I added my personal flare into it to create my first ever chocolate cake with vanilla stripes. Or is it the other way around?

It's quite easy to make since it's all measure and mix, unlike chiffon cakes which, for the temperamental baker-wanna-be like me, is a lot more taxing because of the fluffing of the eggwhites and the careful folding of the mixture.


This one I made with my good pal Ellen (while chatting about her love life).

Here's my interpretation of Ms. Connie's zebra cake recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Sift flour. salt and baking powder in a bowl
  3. In a separate bowl, mix, eggs and sugar until smooth and light colored (about 2 minutes on high speed electric mixer)
  4. Add oil and milk for another minute
  5. Add flour mixture and mix just until blended
  6. Stir in vanilla
  7. Pour half of the batter in another bowl. Add the cocoa powder and stir slightly to blend
  8. Assemble the cake. Alternately pour around 3 tablespoonfuls of each of the batter in the middle of a greased and floured circular pan.
  9. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean.
The trick is to pour the batter quick and fast so you get more stripes. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...