Pages

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Chicken Pox Chronicles : Watching Movies #2

There Will Be Blood (2007). The movie that won Daniel Day-Lewis his second Oscar trophy. The thing with Danny Boy is that he IS the character in every movie he plays. In this movie, he is Daniel Plainview, the struggling silver miner who found money in oil. He'll hustle you out of any deal if he can, buying lands and operating oil fields. Some guy. He's not as scary as Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem in No Country...) but you will find everything about him disgusting. And the movie just ended with "I'm finished." What the...

Love in the Time of Cholera (2007). Read the book... wait a minute, have I actually read it? was this what I read? After seeing Javier Bardem in No Country... it's kind of awkward to see him portray the lovestruck lover that was Florentino Ariza. I liked the part when he paced back and forth in front of a cabin door, I won't tell you why he did that but it was really silly.
The Savages (2007). I was half expecting a comedy of sorts or maybe a thriller judging from the title of the movie. What I got, though, was a movie about coming to terms with relationships, caring for an ailing father with dementia and dealing with the success/failures of a sibling. The movie was fine. Maybe I expected too much. The conflicts were not enough to really leave you heavy hearted. It just didn't do that for me.
St. Trinian's (2007). Wohooo, another breakfast movie. Something you would want to see with your teenage niece who's into emo or goethes or just needed to belong. As for me, it's a pretty excuse to see Colin Firth. The tagline says: school can be a riot. So you could expect to the see the schoolgirls in an anarchic environment triumph in saving the day. Was that Russell Brand? He's causing some stir with his entry to Hollywood films via Forgetting Sarah Marshall. He wasn't funny is this movie. I wonder how he'd fair in Hollywood.


A Good Year (2006). Now here's a movie I did not expect to like. It's fun! A London-based broker/ trader forced to deal with the estate of a beloved uncle who died without executing a will, found a local girl to his liking, and learned more about the past that he has given up for a financially secure life in London. Max Skinner (Russell Crowe) calls the traders on the floor lab rats (loved it!). I just can't get enough of the English twang again. I'm so used to seeing Crowe in serious films I didn't expect he could carry a light movie like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...